Monday, March 7, 2011

CKR: January - May 2010

(continued from October - December 2009...)

JANUARY – MARCH 2010

No entries were posted these months


APRIL 2010

“CKR” Diary Post No. 46
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Well, Kid Rock’s Chillin’ the Most Cruise #1 sets sail this afternoon from the Port of Tampa, just a few hours’ drive from here. Unfortunately, I’m not on it. BUT, thanks to our new neighbor who introduced me to a friend who’s as crazy about the K-I-D as I am, a hard copy of CKR is (go, Kathleen!!). For what it’s worth, she’s going to attempt to place the 3-ring binder in someone’s hands…ANYone’s hands. Or at least talk endless shit about it. On a cruise ship, you’d think you’d have enough of a captive audience for word to get around - like an infectious game of telephone. I just hope, by the time news reaches where it needs to, the story lives up to the hype.

Ah, hell. Who am I kidding?

And, speaking of rocking, have I mentioned our new, next-door neighbor’s name is Katie? I was showing her what a 90,000-word manuscript looks like last week when she happened to notice some of the dialogue. Until that moment, it had completely slipped my mind that Ted Seever often calls his wife Katie. Oh, and Katie’s friend, Kathleen, also told me the other day that Kid Rock’s parents live in Jupiter…which, as of May 29, 2009, is also where I live. Could this journey possibly have any more coincidences? I mean, seriously.

Progress on anything – be it creation or promotion – has slowed considerably these days, given that (because mowing two acres, tending a garden, watering countless plants, maintaining a pool, and taking care of a 5-year-old black lab we “inherited” a couple months ago weren’t keeping me busy enough) we’ve brought home our very first puppy. He’s a chocolate lab whose full name is Rockford P. Beauregard Sampson-Scovill, but we call him Rocko. He is the epitome of adorable. As a cat person, I’m finally beginning to understand why people get so attached to their big, stupid mutts. I LOVE this little dog!

Rocko and Bailey are sleeping peacefully in the man room right now, which is why I’m able to be here, typing, instead of out there, playing in the yard, and why I’m soon headed to the couch for an hour or so. I wish I could write more, and more often, but my life is full…and satisfying…and happy. To want more would be selfish – not to mention masochistic, how on earth could I handle MORE?


“CKR” Diary Post No. 47
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Last Sunday, I was sitting by the pool, watching Scott prep the back house for the new deck while the puppy hovered beneath the ladder (I assume in the hopes the occasional falling nail would turn into kibble) and listening to my daughter’s boyfriend tell me some story about his sister or mom or something, when I thought I’d better check my phone to make sure it was still on; it hasn’t worked right since that “accidental” swimming thing, and I was quietly hoping someone would take pity and surprise me with an invite for an at-home, deep-tissue massage (I would have settled for a Valium…or a nap). Turns out I’d missed three text messages from Kathleen, beginning with this one (and I quote):

“Ur script is on it’s way to Stephenie biotch!!!!!”

I had to excuse myself and run upstairs to take a shot of Jack, so I wouldn’t pass out from hyperventilation.

Now, I haven’t heard the details yet, but – if it’s true – CKR might finally have gotten somewhere. The cruise was over on Monday, so I don’t expect to hear from anyone for a while. Even Kathleen and her partner, Sherri, are still recuperating. I realize, too, that it’s very likely no one will EVER contact me. The manuscript is bulky and intimidating at first glance, and Kid Rock and his posse no doubt have other things to do. But it’s impossible not to hope this is the break I needed (and I would appreciate everyone keeping their “I’ve heard this before” comments to themselves…for now – I’ve had a rough week and am currently enjoying the thoughts of sugar canes dancing in my head).

The only other little tidbit I have to pass along is that we finally got the sweet potatoes we ordered from Park Seeds back in January. The bulbs arrived Tuesday, carefully bunched and rubber-banded, along with a blue slip of paper identifying their specific type…which just happens to be BEAUREGARD.

And with that, I’m off to play with the puppy and return you to your original programming…

(to be continued...)


No comments:

Post a Comment