Monday, March 7, 2011

CKR: Aug - Sep 2009

(continued from March - July 2009...)

AUGUST 2009

No entries were posted this month


SEPTEMBER 2009

“CKR” Diary Post No. 42
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
BIG mistake!!

Somehow, throughout the chaos of 2007, the recovery of 2008, and the mind-boggling move of 2009, I missed that Kid Rock’s manager resigned, retired, and got replaced. No wonder my agent’s attempts to contact him have failed – we’ve been barking up the wrong goddamn tree!

Granted, I don’t exactly hold my finger on the pulse of the American music industry (to be honest, I wouldn’t even know where to put my finger), but you’d think I’d have thought to consult “the Google” once or twice between now and October of two-thousand-fucking-seven, just to make sure the management company we were attempting to reach was the right fucking one. The instant I confirmed (which took all of about 5 to 10 seconds online), I emailed the updated info to Tom. Maybe we’ll finally get somewhere now.

I feel like such a dumbass.

Oh, well - the renewed prospects of making contact have at least inspired me to get back on my ass and work. Everything happens for a reason, right?

On a more festive note, we’ve finally set a date for the housewarming party. Yes, we’re aware it’ll be four months after our move in. Scott wanted to finish at least part of the deck off the main house before we invited large groups of people over. We’ve got tons more to do, but the place is coming along great. We’re excited to share it with our friends. I’m especially tickled for the opportunity to show off my office; Scott’s nearly done with the remodel and the place looks (and smells) fantastic! When I get a minute, I’ll upload a photo or two.

In the meantime, I’m gonna get back to that book thing I’ve been working on for-whatseemslike-ever. It’d be nice to have a completely clean, totally perfect final draft to pass along to the K-I-D if (when) he asks. And, if (when) we do manage to score a meeting with him, it’d probably be a good idea to color my hair…


“CKR” Diary Post No. 43
Monday, September 14, 2009
It’s amazing how quickly things happen when you dial the correct phone number.

Tom called tonight and said he’d made contact with Rock’s new management company. He spoke to an assistant. Someone’s (supposedly) calling him back to discuss specifics. If not for the dentist appointment I have mid-morning, I’d plan to wake up early, open the manuscript, and get back to the business of correcting the few remaining typos, so we’d have a finished product to pass along. Unfortunately, it’ll have to wait.

Again.

I’ve been accused of making excuses and mismanaging my time. Some believe I’ve had writers’ block. There was, indeed, a point during this 3- (now almost 4-) year process when I felt I was subconsciously stalling, specifically to avoid the conversation I knew I’d have with my husband after he read the manuscript (remember, the theme of this book isn’t exactly “monogamy equals happiness”). But that time has long passed. I truly WANT to get this project off my desk and move on to the next one. Scott’s so sick of talking about it his eyes glaze over at the slightest mention of “the book.” Yes, I’m excited about possibly meeting and maybe even working with Kid Rock, and a movie would be cool. But, given that I’ve persevered through some very dark moments while penning this story, simply seeing it in print will be a tremendous joy. Make that relief.

I hope your fingers are still crossed….

P.S. Shortly after typing this – maybe two hours or so – I was 20 pages into edits and feeling in the zone when my eye started blurring. One glance in the mirror freaked me out; the pupil in my right eye had dilated to nearly the size of my iris. A few minutes on the Internet convinced me I had no other choice but to visit the ER. Three hours, one CT scan, and a $150 co-pay later, I was sent home with antibiotics, steroids, and Flonase and the news that I had one rip-roarer of a sinus infection. What caused the dilated or “blown” pupil was the nose spray I’d been using to combat congestion. The eye surgery I had last year left me with a larger drainage duct than most people and, probably when I sneezed, a bit of the nose spray got into my eye through the duct. My question is: Would the interruption be considered an excuse? Or simply mismanaged time?  :)


“CKR” Diary Post No. 44
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Yesterday, I stopped working on page 244 out of 312. Today, I re-read The End. Karen’s edits are finished, the manuscript is clean, and it’s no longer a lie when I say the book is done.

It’s really, really done.

Next week I can start shopping it around, unless I hear otherwise from Tom. A tip of the hat from Kid Rock would help big in the department of scoring a good publisher. I’m just not sure if I should wait for the tip or start sending it out now.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment